Faculty of Education
Preservice Professional Studies
Faculty Associate Position
Working in pairs, faculty associated (FAs) have two primary responsibilities:
- The development of their module's program in partnership with a faculty member; and
- The supervision of student teachers during the placement and practicum assignments.
FAs also provide individual and group instruction in theory and practice with their module (a small group of up to 32 student teachers) and maintain effective liaison between SFU's Faculty of Education and the public schools.
Please note that FAs may be required to drive considerable distances as the program makes use of placements throughout the lower mainland.
SUPERVISION OF STUDENT TEACHERS
Supervising student teachers during the placement and practicum stages of the PDP (EDUC 401 and 405) is the shared responsibility of faculty associates (FA) and school associates (SA).
The FA assumes the role of mentor and guide, rather than inspector and judge. Under such supervisory guidance, student teachers are helped to take major steps in their professional development. FAs also help to clarify the responsibilities of the SA who plays a pivotal role in the preparation of student teachers.
FAs are expected to visit schools regularly, deal with a range of challenging supervisory situations and develop open and collegial relationships with teachers and SAs.
The selection of faculty associates is made based on the following criteria:
- Normally five years of demonstrated excellence in public school teaching
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team
- Willingness to examine and refine one's practice
- Curriculum and instructional needs of the program
- Work experience with adult learners (recommended)
- Previous School Associate experience (recommended)
- Experience with computer technology (recommended)
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR THE APPLICATION
- TQS card
- Official Transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- Referees (they will receive a to upload a reference letter)
Completed applications and supporting documents are due through our online system by no later than, Monday, November 6th, 2023, 11:59 pm.
If you have any questions regarding this posting, please contact the Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information collected on application documents is obtained under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 165), the University Act (R.S.B., c.468, s.27 (4)(a), applicable federal and provincial employment regulations and requirements and the University policy, Collection of Personal Information, (1.10.5). The information collected is directly related to and needed by the University to process applications for teaching positions and for offers of employment to qualified applicants. The information will be used by the Chair of the Department, or designate, to conclude appointments. If you have any questions about the collection and use of information provided by you, please contact the Director of Professional Programs, Faculty of Education. If you have questions about the collection of this information, please contact email@example.com.